I had a gallon zip lock bag full of trimmings similar to this after I finished piecing my recent String Quilt top.
I knew they were oddly shaped and I really should discard them, but you know how some of us just don’t want to throw anything away, especially after we have sewn it together.
So, I decided to sew these little guys to a strip of neutral background fabric from my stash. This background fabric is really scraps from the backing for a large quilt I long arm quilted.
Then I marked a 6 inch rotary cutting ruler with blue painters’ tape so that I could easily trim a consistent half-square triangle.
I found the ruler slipping on such a small, lumpy piece so I added 3 adhesive sandpaper dots to steady things up a bit.
I pressed the units open toward the neutral background side.
There were two tiny “dog ears” to trim off each resulting unit.
These little guys started piling up!
Actually, I had a design in mind that required 192 of the hst units, so I threw caution to the wind and made 200!
I took the hst’s to my Monday quilting group and arranged them on my work table.
I sewed them together by quarters. This shows how much the squares “shrink” from sewing them together with a 1/4 seam allowance.
I sewed the quarters together, added a 1/2 inch inner red border and a darker 3 inch outer border.
I especially like the way the center looks.
Pretty cool for something made of scraps from a string quilt!
Cannot wait to get it on the long arm to quilt around all these precious little triangles!
Wow! It looks fantastic. I do find it kind of satisfying to throw away all those little pieces as I work, but I am starting to reconsider that. This is very inspirational!
THAT IS AMAZING ! ! ! ! Such a GREAT job. Can’t wait to see how you are going to quilt it and to see the finished runner. Beautiful ! ! ! !
Pingback: Scrap String Table Runner |